Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Get Off The Road Dumbass!

A woman in town was run over by a truck the other day while she was riding her bike. Monica, a single mom, was training for a triathlon and out for a ride with a friend along the access road of one of the interstates in town.  Her training partner said she watched her fly over 30 feet before she hit the pavement and tumbled into the grass along the side of the road. 

If you train on the streets you are keenly aware of how dangerous it is.  I've been knocked off my bike by teenage motorists, even broken some bones.  I can't even count how many times I've almost been hit while running.  Most drivers just don't see us, but there are some who flat out don't like sharing the road.

 I"ll make you a deal.  I'll do everything I can to make myself visible.  When it comes to whether you see me or not I'll assume you don't.  I'll follow all the rules of safe running, and riding.  In return can I ask you to share?  Can you fight that feeling to show me just how much of the road you think is yours?  Can you resist the urge to demonstrate how big an idiot you think I am? 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.  I'll see you on Route 21, and on another route near you.
PS- If you would like to donate to help Monica as she recovers from her severed spinal cord injury you can at http://www.active.com/donate/monicacaban

No comments:

Post a Comment