Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Daaaaaaamn That's Longer Than I Been Born!"

I had to sprint across the front lawn of the office to catch the bus as it rolled up a few minutes ahead of schedule.  As soon as I sat down a kid asked me, "Yo man,  you work there?"  I replied with a nod.  "Does it pay good?"  I replied with a shrug.  "How long you been doin that?"  "Twenty-three years" was my reply.  "Daaaaaaamn that's longer than I been born!", he exclaimed.  I went back to my nod, but I added an eyebrow raise.  You may not want to stay in the job you're in for twenty something years, but here are a few "take it from mes" that will insure that you are the one that makes that decision.  Take it from me, I have a bunch of them.

Take it from me, beat your boss to work  even if it's only by 5 minutesOdds are he's under the gun to get it done.  You'll be viewed as someone who is just as committed he is.  (If he gets in 3 hours before starting time at least be the first one in after him consistently)

Take it from me, don't call in sick if you're not sick.  If you don't call in sick you get 2 more weeks than your peers to get the job done.  In a competitive environment that's invaluable.  Besides your boss knows when your BSing him. 

Take it from me, find out what's important to your boss and make it important to you.  I'm not talking about fantasy football, or poker here.  That's suck up stuff.  I'm talking brands.  Find out what makes your boss's brand His and make it part of Yours.  Incorporate things like honesty, dependability, loyalty, and professionalism into your brand and it will stand up over time.  (This only applies if your boss's brand is a quality brand.  If their brand is crap they will soon be gone and you'll get another opportunity with a new boss) 

I'll see you on Route 21, hopefully for many more years.



No comments:

Post a Comment